South East London Suicide Bereavement Service
This service supports people who have lost someone to suicide across the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark*.
We are available for adults and young people. When we receive a referral for a child, we will do an assessment to make sure the support we can offer is suitable for their needs.
We're here to help you
We’re here to help you in the aftermath of loss, offering one-to-one emotional and practical support.
The service we offer is:
- built around your individual needs.
We run support groups where you can connect with other people bereaved by suicide and offer bereavement counselling by video call or phone.
Our staff are trained to take the impact of trauma into account in how we support you. We will also signpost you to other services that may be of benefit, depending on your needs.
The Suicide Bereavement Service was launched in July 2021 and is funded by NHS England through South East London Integrated Care System. It is delivered as a partnership between South East London Mind, Mind in Bexley and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM).
*If you live elsewhere but your loved one lived or died in one of these boroughs we may be able to offer practical support, so please get in touch.
What support do we offer?
Things we can support with include:
- Helping sort through personal effects of the person who died
- Dealing with the affairs of the person who died, such as bills and bank accounts
- Support with registering the death and planning a funeral
- Offering information and resources during the inquest process
- Support with any changes in your personal circumstances, such as finance or housing
- Listening and understanding responses to grief
- Space to talk openly about the person you have lost
- Support and advice in breaking the news to other people
- Information and advice on managing your own wellbeing
- Check-ins at significant anniversaries, such as the person’s birthday
- Opportunity to connect with others who can relate to your experience
We also support people who have witnessed the suicide of someone they didn’t know, helping to explore the psychological impact and how to cope.
Our support team includes Suicide Bereavement Support Workers, Bereavement Counsellors and Community Chaplains, who work with people of all faiths and none. We work closely with local community organisations and have a focus on specific groups, including children, young people and BAME communities.
This service launched in July 2021 and is funded by NHS England through the South East London Integrated Care System. It is delivered as a partnership between Mind in South East London and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
*If you live elsewhere but your loved one lived or died in one of these boroughs we may still be able to offer practical support, so please do get in touch.
Volunteering with us
We are keen to hear from people with lived experience of bereavement by suicide who are interested in supporting others. If you fit this description, please get in touch for a chat:
Call: 07933 393 397