Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman

< Back to directory


The PHSO makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England, UK government departments and some other UK public organisations. It does this fairly.

You can complain to the Ombudsman if you believe there has been injustice or hardship because an organisation has not acted properly or fairly or has given you a poor service and not put things right.  Their service is free.

As they are the final stage for unresolved complaints, they usually expect you to complain to the organisation you are unhappy with first. This is so that it has the chance to look into your concerns and, where needed, put things right for you.
Complaints about the NHS in England

If your complaint is about a hospital, you might want to start by contacting its Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Opens in a new window or its complaints department.

There is information about feedback and complaints in the NHSOpens in a new windowon the NHS Choices website.  You can read more about your rights and what to expect in the:

If you need information and advice

If you would like to make a complaint to the NHS or another public organisation, but are not sure how to get started, they have put together some tips to guide you.

If you are complaining about a government department or service, your local Citizens Advice Opens in a new windowwill be able to give you information and advice.

Your local health complaints advocacy service

Your local authority will have arranged independent health complaints advocacy where you live. This service is free to use. Below are links to four of the organisations that provide this service, but there are others too. Check with your local authority, local Healthwatch or the Local Government Association websiteOpens in a new window to find out the provider in your local area:

If you are not happy with the organisation’s final decision, you can ask the PHSO to look into it.  They can look into complaints about NHS organisations, for example: GPs, dentists, NHS hospitals or care in a private hospital if it was paid for by the NHS.  They can also look into complaints about services from government departments such as Jobcentre Plus, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or the UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI).

Contact Details

0345 015 4033 Helpline


PHSO, Millbank House, 30 Millbank, westminster, London SW1P 4QP

Other Info

Opening times:
Helpline: Mon - Thurs 8.30am - 5.00pm, Fri 8.30am - 12noon

Free service

< Back to directory